Monday, December 2, 2013

Making whimsy

 My Facebook page is filled with posts on the incredible energies surrounding the planet right now, and I don't know about anyone else, but I sure am feeling it. I've thought about jumping out of my skin or losing my mind, and maybe I've done a little of both, but what I've recently added to the mix is making whimsy for walls. I love seeing the progression my creativity is taking me. This is the first one and it has the most fabric in it, meaning that I've made the tree and the person almost totally out of fabric. I've dolled up her hair with embroidery floss that was tie-dyed by my partner, Dan. As a matter of fact all the fabrics on the front of this piece are from his own creative mastery of  tie-dye magic.



Here's a picture of my second attempt. I got a little more cocky with the fabric markers and less into the fabric. I've been doing a bit of doodling lately to calm the crazies that show up every now and then. It's very meditative for me to sit with pen in hand and doodle the hours away. My breathing slows dramatically and I feel better in no time. Making my dresses is a much speedier process with a serger that goes faster than an Andretti on a race track. So, for now I'm tip toeing through the Sharpie marker world and seeing what shows up. 





Sometimes my own photography leaves much to be desired so let's just have a little closer look at these two to see what kind of shenanigans they're up to.
 
 
I have no idea what's going on. I just sit down on the floor or loveseat with my little pieces of fabric, thread, and markers and just let the process begin. I don't have preconceived ideas. I just know that I need to slow down, breathe, and let it happen. Whenever I get my head involved - my wacky thoughts - it muddles the process and I usually don't like what I've done.  These two little creatures just tickle me. That's all I have to say about them -- except that I'm glad they showed up. They make me smile.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think Mario Andretti moves too fast anymore.
    I love the work though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know his ex-daughter-in-law, and I know you speak words of truth.

    ReplyDelete